A smart media release will include things like high-resolution photos and graphics, video, and audio components.
There are 5 types of news releases:
- spot announcements
- reaction stories
- bad news
- local news
The traditional e-mail news release is about 400 words, but the new standard for e-mail release is fewer than 200 words. Shorter news releases have a better chance of making it past the editor without getting changed too much.
When you’re planning a news release you should ask these basic questions:
- What’s the subject
- Who is the message designed to reach
- What are the potential benefits and rewards
- What’s the goal of the organization pursuing
- What do you want to achieve with the news release
- What key messages should this news release highlight
All information from Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques, 6th ed.