- An effective communicator should have a basic knowledge of: what constitutes communication and how people receive messages, how people process information and change their perceptions, and what kinds of communication tools are most appropriate for a particular message.
- Cognitive dissonance focuses on messages that are contrary to a persons dispositions.
- It is important to avoid use of jargon, clichés, and discriminatory language.
- It is important to know your audience.
- A passive audience will need something with style and creativity to capture and hold their interest.